An intraoral sensor is a small device used to take radiographic image inside the mouth. The sensor captures the image, send it to the monitor for processing then the digital image is created which is visible on the screen. It produce clear image than conventional x-ray film. It is widely recognized as RVG (Radio Visio Graphy) by dental professionals. This products is one of the latest imaging technologies in the world of dentistry and so helps in diagnosis with minimal exposure to the patient and display the digital image in minimum time possible.
When it comes to the extent in which radiographic images can be used in dentistry, digital intraoral sensors give clinicians even more facilities. With better resolution, significantly reduced radiation to the patient, the ability to zoom into the parts of the image and add filters for improved diagnostic capability is provided to clinician by the software.
Digital sensors provide flexibility to the dental professional for use whereas also comfortable for the patient. In addition, the ability to store radiographs without loss of image quality, as well as the ability to transfer a soft copy to insurance agency or referral partners, and the advantages of using digital sensors can easily be seen by your dental practice.
It was invented by DR. FRANCES MOUYENS and manufactured by TROPHIE RADIOLOGIE (Vincennes, France) in 1984.
Described in the U.S Dental literature in the year 1989.
Working Principle of Dental Intraoral Sensor:
An RVG sensor has two sides i.e. reactive & non-reactive
The reactive side is used for taking images. The tissue is exposed to X-ray radiation and then the refracted light is captured by the sensor. The image is developed and converted into digital data by using Analog-to-Digital converters. This digital data is then sent to the computer where the doctor can view the image instantly.
In the Non-Reactive side Cable attachment is present. The transfer of data from sensor to the computer is done through USB.
Advantages of Digital Intraoral Dental Sensors:
- It is inexpensive and Portable in nature.
- The radiation dose is very low.
- Production of the images instantly.
- The contrast can be controlled easily.
- Presence of filters & diagnostic tools for better diagnosis
- Easily the images can be stored and transferred.
- Computer-aided image interpretation
- Image enhancement
- Image archiving
- Image retrieval
- No Chemical processing
- No Hazardous wastes
- Patient Education
Types of Intraoral Sensors-
Direct Digital Imaging
- Sensor is placed inside patient’s mouth
- Exposed to radiation
- Sensor captures the radiographic image
- Transmits image to a computer monitor
- Image appears on the screen within seconds
Indirect Digital Imaging:
- Existing x-ray film is digitized
- Image is scanned inside the scanner
- Image is processed and displayed on the screen
Types of Digital Image receptors:
- Solid State Technology -
- Charge coupled device (CCD)
- Complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS)
- Flat panel detectors.
- Photostimulable phosphor plate
Benefits of Digital Imaging for dentist:
- Peri-apical area for cyst or any other infection
- Dental caries
- Bone loss
- Tooth fracture
- Pre and post root canal treatment
- Pre and post implant procedures
- Dislodged restoration
PSP Plates Scanner:
After exposure to the radiation, PSP (Phosphor Storage Plates) these stores images, then the plate is scanned through the scanner and can be visualize in a laptop or desktop.
Advantages of Dental PSP Plates Scanner:
Ultra-thin PSP plates are perfect for dental patients who are timid about the myriad of dental equipment being inserted into their mouth. PSP plates are designed with a smooth, rounded corners and flexible enough to enhance comfort of the patient, that make these better than digital x-ray sensors. But both the options are perfectly suitable for dental imaging needs depending on certain patients. Below mentioned are some more advantages:
- Availability of different sizes as per the requirement
- It is much more durable than any traditional film
- It has eliminated the need for a processor
- No chemicals are required for image processing
- They are Reusable once erased and sanitized
- NO maintenance required
- Very much ideal for chair side use
- Easily movable.
Best dental deals have a wide range of intraoral sensors and PSP plates scanner available online for the dental professionals to buy for a digitally upgraded clinic.