One of the most used equipment in dentistry is Dental Handpieces. It can increase the performance of daily dental activities. The only change which we can presently see is a lot of improvements that have really strengthened the current workflow. Handpieces have steadily been updated and redesigned over the years to become the extremely precise and advanced equipment they are today. These indispensable devices continue to be improved by technological advances.
To help ensure the smooth running of daily operations, it is important to choose the best Dental Handpiece. The two primary handpieces forms, air-driven or motor-driven, have specific features with particular advantages and disadvantages. Both types of handpieces can deliver operational excellence, but it is necessary to consider the variations and benefits of each type.
Uses of Handpiece in Dentistry:
It depends on what procedure you perform for your patients and what you want when it comes to your comfort & use while choosing the right dental handpiece for your practice.
Air Driven Handpieces:
In dentistry various innovations take place, and a few are highly effective than others. Almost around 60 years ago, the inventions of the air-rotor handpiece proved to be a technological development that has truly revolutionized the way dentists perform cavity preparation for tooth restoration. The use of “high-speed” air-driven handpieces allowed clinicians to operate more quickly for faster treatment.
In order to make the design more ergonomic, the heads have been upgraded to smaller sizes for better patient excess, the turbines with less noise, and the easy bur exchange to save time for the dentist.
Motor-driven handpieces play an important role as they provide an added advantage for the dentist with the availability of a wide range of revolutions per minute(rpm). One important difference is that there is a specific rpm with stable torque so that the resisting power of the bur can easily cut through the tooth or restorative material without a reduction in speed. In modern dentistry, where multidisciplinary treatment methods are becoming extremely popular, this clinical flexibility is very advantageous.
Comparison between Air Driven and Motor-Driven Handpieces:
1. Sound: Motor-driven handpieces are quieter for an operation that is more comfortable for patients and dentists.
2. Speed: The motor-driven handpieces deliver a constant speed irrespective of the resistance build-up compared to the air-driven type. As a consequence of steady speed, it also helps to deliver a smoother and more accurate cutting edge. Higher speed can be achieved in air-driven handpieces than motor-driven handpieces.
3. Torque: Air-driven handpieces have a lower torque when compared to an electrically driven handpiece.
4. Cutting Efficiency: The motor-driven handpiece has higher cutting efficiency due to constant speed and higher torque. It helps the dentist for faster treatment.
Tips To Be Considered When Choosing A Best Dental Handpiece:
1. Type of propulsion: Depending on the dental procedure, a dentist needs to choose the right handpiece, as both air or motor-driven handpieces have their own advantages.
2. Light: During dental operations, good visibility of the oral cavity is a must. Optic and non-optic handpieces both have their own significance. The lighting handpieces are significantly more costly than the versions without integrated illumination, but they greatly facilitate the dentist’s work.
3. Head Size: The head size is a very important point since it depends on the kind of treatment and the link to the bur. In the area of operation, smaller heads can have greater access and visibility. It is important to take this into account while making the decision to buy.
4. Weight of the handpiece: Dental Handpiece that is light in weight provide optimum comfort to the dentist and reduce the hand fatigue while performing long procedures.
5. Cartridge: The handpiece cartridge should be easily replaceable and easily available as it can provide an uninterrupted workflow for the dentist.
Cleaning and Maintenance Of The Dental Handpiece:
For any contra angle handpiece to operate at its full potential and efficiency, proper maintenance is essential. One of the key causes of early turbine failure is known to be debris. Since the handpiece is an integral part of the dental practice, it is necessary to carry out a routine maintenance regime.
Handpiece lubricant spray offers congruous cleaning, purging the debris to keep turbines running optimally for a longer period of time. This translates into less need to upgrade turbines and minimizes the expenses of handpiece repair.
Sterilization of High-Speed Handpiece:
It is preferred that the sterilization procedure does not surpass maximum allowable temperatures in order to extend the life of your handpieces. A class B advanced autoclave is the best choice for this since they are safe and reliable for sterilization of dental handpieces with a triple vacuum cycle.
Key Features of Dental Handpieces:
- A wide range for selection of types of dental high speed and low speed handpiece
- A decent price with advanced features to provide the dentist a peace of mind.
- Dental handpieces with higher torque and more power for faster treatment
- Light weight handpieces that are comfortable for a dentist
- Less noise that reduces the patient’s anxiety for the treatment to be performed.
- Availability of dental handpieces from renowned brands like NSK & Being Foshan, helps the dentist to choose the right handpiece for the dental clinic.
- Motor-driven handpiece with an increased gear ratio to provide faster cutting efficiency.
- Motor-driven handpieces that generate less aerosol, prevent the risk of aerosol transmitted infections.
- It can be sterilized at 135 degrees C to prevent the risk of cross-contamination.
In any dental operations, dental handpiece is an essential aspect. As per the requirement of the dentist for the variety of dental procedures, and the demand for greater accuracy and performance, innovation in handpiece technology will continue to play a crucial role.